INTERVIEW by Brian Feinblum Chief Marketing Officer of MEDIA CONNECT
28 April, 2013 | By Goldie Alexander
1. Can you tell me a bit about your inspirations and what drew you to writing in the first place? In one word: reading. I learnt to read when I was three and I have never stopped. Books take me far away from my present reality, and take me to other worlds. When life is tough- as it was this year after a major accident which left me disabled for months- they proved my salvation. I bought a Kindle and downloaded over a 200 books. As for what inspires me: what I read, what I see, what I hear. I am one of those strange people who actually enjoys listening to people talking on their mobiles. In a word, the world around me is my inspiration.
2. Is having a book published exclusively as an ebook a different experience to having a book in print? Do you prefer reading either format? Do you think the print book is on the way out? I adore my Kindle. Without it I would have spent most of 2012 going quite mad. Ultimately what format a book appears isn’t all that relevant. What matters are the words, the characters and the narrative drive. I think hardcopy might gradually disappear. What will remain are story picture books for little readers, and maybe elegant coffee table books. Of course this is a time of transition and who can predict the future with any accuracy? The monks who illustrated all those wonderful bibles must have felt the same way when they first caught sight of a printing press. ‘Never catch on,’ they must have told each other. Same as when Penguin decided to produce soft covers. Enough said.
3. What tips do you have for other writers? I have a blog where I post lots of tips, both for very beginning writers, and those that are trying to promote their work. Social networking is important, so I recommend using facebook, tweeting, and logging into other blogs. Promoting on You Tube is useful though I have to confess I’m technologically too stupid to do this. My major piece of advice is to never give up. A book may be rejected many times before it takes off. Sometimes it can take many years, and of course this has happened to me many, many times. After I lick my wounds at yet another rejection, I remind myself that it might be the wrong time, the wrong publisher, and probably needs another draft. Now the book revolution is on us, perhaps it’s useful to think of self publishing. But be warned: too many self published books are badly edited or frankly, need more work.
4.. Your latest YA novel ‘Dessi’s Romance’ features Schoolies celebrations. Why did you choose to write about Schoolies? Did you do any specific research? And what do you think of the Schoolies culture? I am much too old to attend Schoolies Week but have read a lot about it and talked to youngsters who went. Schoolies Week is a rite-of-passage for youngsters: the child turning into an adult. It seemed an ideal setting for these young women and men to question the adherence to their friendship and their search for identity. Apropos the ‘culture’ of Schoolies Week, we read and see a lot on the media about the negatives. but I think this is an ideal way for youngsters to celebrate without parents or supervisors. They have to learn what is and what isn’t appropriate. Some seem to find this hard and that’s when the media latches onto an unfortunate incident. In ‘Dessi’s Romance’, Dessi and Emma, who have been as close as sisters since they were babies, have to sort out their feelings for each other when a new man comes between them.
5. What is the most important thing to remember when starting a new work? In my opinion, a character must become a living breathing person easily recognizable. I always recommend writers create a character profile to start with. Once your character is living at a specific time and you know his/her likes dislikes/conflicts/ family etc. you already have half your plot. I can’t emphasize this enough. In ‘eSide’, a contemporary fantasy for 9 to 12Year olds my major evil character is the witch Hecate, and hopefully, she is as scary as any horror movie.
6. What other advice can you give beginner writers? Perseverance is what counts. It’s said that inspiration is only 10% and hard work 90% . I am often approached by people who tell me they ‘have a book in them’ as if I can give a magic tip. Wish I could.
As a blog owner. Do you think like having a web-site
or even website is realistic? Also how do you get
visitors to take a look at your web site?
Hopefully, by writing stuff that people want to read.
Good luck with yours. Keep reading mine. It may help you and give you ideas.
Hi there! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the good data you
may have here on this post. I shall be coming again to your weblog for more soon.
Thanks. Come again!
I love what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and coverage!
Keep up the good works guys I’ve you guys to my blogroll.
Spot on with this write-up, I honestly feel this website needs a great deal more attention.
I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the info!
thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Every weekend i used to visit this site, because i wish for enjoyment,
since this this web site conations in fact fastidious funny material too.
Thank you for coming back to me. Happy you are enjoying this blog
This is a topic that is close to my heart… Take care!
Where are your contact details though?
Hullo fluer d lis,
you can find all my contact details on my website https://www.goldiealexander.com
Just move to ‘contact details’.
No advertising though, if you don’t mind.
I’m not sure exactly why but this blog is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I’ll
check back later on and see if the problem still exists.
The connection is fine from my end. Perhaps you need to check yours.
Hi, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this article. It was practical.
Keep on posting!
Hey there, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog in Firefox, it looks fine but
when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, great blog!
Having read this I believed it was very informative. I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this
informative article together. I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both
reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!
Article writing is also a fun, if you know then
you can write otherwise it is complex to write.
Good day! I simply want to give an enormous thumbs up for the good data
you have got right here on this post. I can be coming again
to your weblog for extra soon.
Hey there! This is my 1st comment here so I just
wanted to gіѵe а quick shout out and say І truly enjoy reаding
through уouг pοsts. Ϲan you suggest any other blоgs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics?
Here is mу web pagе :: Phillip
Hi there, all is going sound here and ofcourse
every one is sharing data, that’s actually good, keep up writing.
Hello! I simply want to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice data you’ve right here on this post.
I will be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.
Hiya! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the good information you’ve got here on this post.
I might be coming back to your weblog for more soon.
For hottest news you have to pay a visit web and on
the web I found this web page as a finest site
for newest updates.
Wow! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!
Feel free to visit my web site; ipe natural gas futures
Yes! Finally someone writes about one hundred
You are so interesting! I don’t suppose I’ve truly read anything like that before.
So good to find somebody with some original thoughts on this issue.
Really.. thanks for starting this up. This site is one thing that is required on the internet,
someone with a little originality!
Review my web site best mattresses for lower back pain
Just want to say your article is as amazing.
The clearness on your post is simply cool and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well together with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to stay up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.
Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. This sort of clever work and reporting!
Keep up the fantastic works guys I’ve you guys to my own blogroll.
This is very attention-grabbing, You are a very skilled blogger.
I have joined your feed and look forward to in quest of more
of your wonderful post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks
thank you so much Jeremiah for our generous words
Can’t say I have a huge following – wouldn’t tnat be nice? but it’s lovely to get such a kind response. If you have anything to do with the arts I would be happy to interview you
Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add
to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for
quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
Please let me know if you run into anything.
I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to
your new updates.
Unfortunately not. maybe someone reading your comment might help us both