‘BODY AND SOUL: LILBET’S ROMANCE. was originally published as hard copy in 2003. Set in 1938 Melbourne, it is the story of how disabled Lilbet sets about keeping her family by her side. It is now out as a ebook on Amazon etc etc but with only the title ‘LILBET’S ROMANCE’. Here are both covers, the old and the new.
I get a great number of comments that ask for other sites that talk about ‘writing matters’. Unfortunately, I don’t prowl the web enough to impart any information. Mostly, I’m too busy writing. All I can do is send readers to other authors’ websites. But here are some points that might be of interest. I compiled these from a talk Penguin’s publisher and author Jane Godwin gave wearing both hats.
- Every new book ultimately reflect both reader and publisher’s taste.
- The book is the result of a relationship between creators and publisher.
- A schedule must be established between author and illustrator.
- People have very different ways of reading.
- Books need to be inventive and take risks.
- Publishers and creators can’t control everything, no matter how hard they try.
- Both creators and publishers should enjoy the process.
- Know your market: education, bookshops, discount stores etc.?
- Never become too elated at the end of a project, always think it could be better.
- The writer and the publisher wear different hats.
- A book can be published in many different ways.
- No matter what the future holds, there will always be a place for paper books.
- Writing and illustrating is always hard. Use all your experience in your work.
- Constructive criticism can be helpful. Mistakes will still happen.
- Writing what you don’t know encourages research and imagination.
- Character is everything. Without convincing characters a book will fail.
- It is important to find your own voice.
- Don’t be obsessed by markets.
- Don’t see readers as all the same.
- Keep an idea or character in your head even when you are not creating.
Meanwhile I have completed the first draft of a fantasy ‘take’ on Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest’ and am waiting on my friendly reader to come back and tell me what doesn’t work. I’m sure there will be something!!!!